Monday, February 8, 2010

Month 1 out of 5

I wanted to recap my first month of training for the marathon. I started running back in November and it was only a few miles on a treadmill. Outside is all different ball game.

I remember my first night outside running...I got all dressed and I was scared, excited and butterflies in my stomach. I stood in the lobby waiting for 6pm to come around. There was expert runners standing all around me in the lobby with the latest running gear. I stood there with two layers of clothes with a coat on top, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of gloves and most important my ski mask. As we walked outside in the dark the cold 30 degree air hit my body like needles I was scared and wondered to myself....."What am I doing and why am I out here" We took off down a snowy path along 126th street in fishers. It was such a cold and dark night and with headlights blinding me as I was running in between ice and snow piles I just took off and said "I CAN DO THIS". We ran a mile out to a stop sign than turn around and ran the mile back to the YMCA.

Now, after a few cold nights and feeling great running down the main road and passing people as they are riding in their cars.I am running four miles now. I feel like I am climbing a large mountain and I still have four months to get to the top.

In the first month I have realized not to analyzed the weather. I looked at the temperature- dress according- then just go run with the group. I have ran at 3 degree windchill to 40 degrees on a sun day. I get excited when I see 35 degrees.

I been told February is the worst month. More miles and colder temperatures. Stay in tune for my 2nd month update.

1 comment:

  1. You know how proud we all are of you don't you. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete